Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sonnet for Solo Voice

Sonnet for Solo Voice

...practicing my solitary scales 'til they rose like balloons
watching them go where they will go.
           -- The Mountain Goats, "Song for Lonely Giants"
Those who can sing will never understand The torture of missing, even after a million Tries, the right note, the resplendent flourish, The transcendent ache that crowns aria, Ballad, anthem, lullaby, and hymn. When I try to sing, my children groan In happy anguish, appalled that I would Willingly unleash upon the world So frayed and such sour notes. “Do not ever,” My daughter Molly pleads, “try that again.” I do, of course. I try again and again and again, Certain that one day I will sing so well My children, all of them, will weep with joy to hear me Instead of weeping, as they do now, to hear me.

2 comments:

  1. John, did you write this? It has your cadences, for sure. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's me, singing my sad song.

    ReplyDelete